It has stood at 83 Essex Street Guelph since its base stones were set in late June 1880. Its cornerstone was set on September 17 1880 as recorded in the Guelph Mercury and Advertiser. The contents of the cornerstone were described in that article, "Copy of the Holy Scriptures, Hymn Book of the BME Church, copy of the Missionary Messenger - the organ of the church; and copies of the Mercury and Herald." Presumably, the contents had already been placed inside a tin box, hermetically sealed and then painted over before being placed in a carved-out section of the cornerstone, then covered with sand and mortared under the stone above it. The Mercury report noted that the structure was already twelve feet high, with half the basement four feet in the ground and the other four feet above it. The base stones of the church could well be mortared directly onto the same ridge of limestone that extends across the road to where the ground drops behind the southside homes and into a remnant of the quarry from which many of the nearby stone houses had also come. The Guelph BME was, by the 1880's, one of the last stone structures erected in the neighbourhood. The quarry had been owned by the man who had been awarded the contract to raise the church, William Slater, listed in the 1881 city directory as a stone cutter.

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Guelph Mercury Coverage of the Book link below photo

Powering the Underground Railroad

By  Bill Bean

Sunday, February 2, 2014

George Beaver was a Descendant of Abram Groat and the NC Tuscarora Margaret,

I spoke to George before he died last summer. His grandmother Caroline Beaver, was a daughter of Levinia Groat, daughter of Abram, one of the mixed-race, Tuscarora Baptist anti-slavery activists on the Grand. Abram was listed as a Tuscarora warriour in 1842.

Upcoming Readings and Signings

Launched at the
Bookshelf Feb. 8

Sunday February 23
Time: 4 PM
Shepherd's Pub

cover for Laying the Bed

cover for Laying the Bed
designed by Brenan Pangborn